The idea behind trip planning is to design the most effective, efficient, safe, and legal route between two points.
A well thought out trip plan can mean a savings of time and money for drivers and motor carriers. A good plan can also mean a safe trip for the driver and the cargo. If a driver has a solid plan before hitting the road, they’re better able to devote all of their attention to driving.
This course is designed to help non-CDL CMV drivers learn the five basic steps of trip planning.
After completing this course, learners will be able to:
- Describe the paperwork required for you (the driver), your cargo, and your vehicle
- Discuss considerations when selecting your route, along with how to read a map and use a global positioning system (GPS)
- List vehicle and cargo restrictions
- Describe things you should consider when estimating your trip time
- List conditions that can affect fuel usage
The J. J. Keller Safe and Smart Experienced Driver Training Program: Trip Planning online course covers the following topics:
Trip Planning Basics
- Route Selection
- Reading Maps
- Online Resources
- Global Positioning System (GPS)
- Vehicle and Cargo Restrictions
- Estimating Time
- Estimating Fuel Usage
- Selecting Fuel-Efficient Routes
- Estimating Trip Expenses
Length of Course: 18 minutes
Intended Audience: New hire, experienced non-CDL CMV drivers
Regs Covered (if applicable): N/A
Formats: Online Course
Copyright Date: 2020
Start training today!
Learn more about the Safe and Smart Driver Training Program.