It’s important for drivers to understand what it means to be regulated. Being regulated means a governmental agency is watching each driver and their safe behaviors—or lack of them. Even if you’re not keeping score, they are. In fact, for compliance with the commercial vehicle safety regulations there are seven separate scores. The hours-of-service CSA BASIC score has the most common driver violations. It measures how often drivers are likely driving tired or fatigued. Some studies suggest that operating tired is like operating under the influence of drugs or alcohol. It’s dangerous for everyone on the road.
Hours of Service Training: Basics is designed to cover the fundamentals of hours-of-service regulations and what it means to be regulated. Drivers will learn what types of activities they are expected to keep track of, and which are considered on-duty or off-duty. They will learn the importance of tracking rest cycles and the amount of work they’ve completed, which will help them determine if they are safe and legal to drive.
After completing this training, learners will be able to:
- Identify who the hours-of-service regulations apply to
- Recognize the purpose of the hours-of-service regulations
- Differentiate between on-duty and off-duty activities
- Explain how hours-of-service violations affect driver and carrier CSA scores
The J. J. Keller Hours of Service Training: Basics training program covers the following topics:
Who is Regulated?
- Definition of a CMV
- Driver and Carrier Responsibility
- Shared responsibility
- Shared consequences
Purpose of the Hours-of-Service Regulations
- Keep Fatigued Drivers Off the Road
- Reduce the Number of Fatigue-Related Crashes
- On-Duty Time
- Off-Duty Time
- Tracking Cycles of On- and Off-Duty
- Regulations Track the Cycles of Driving, Work, and Rest
- Tracking is Designed to Encourage Circadian Rhythm
- Regulations Measure the Driver’s Ability to Get Rest
Your Impact on Your Hours-of-Service CSA BASIC Score
- CSA BASIC Overview
- Hours-of-Service Violations
- Hours-of-Service Citations
- Difference Between Citations and Violations
- Citation Amounts
- Civil Litigation
- Miranda rights
Intended Audience: Property-Carrying CMV Drivers
Regulations Covered: 49 CFR Part 395
Copyright Date: 2020
Language: Available in English or Spanish
Start Training today!
Online Training Streaming Video
This program is part of the Hours of Service Training Curriculum. Learn more.