Hazardous materials (hazmat) are substances or materials that the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) has determined are capable of posing an unreasonable risk to health, safety and property when transported in commerce. The Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR) are a set of rules established by The Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) to ensure hazmat is packaged and handled safely during transport.
The security measures your employees will take to protect hazmat varies depending on your company, location, and job responsibilities. It also depends on how dangerous the hazmat is and what kinds of hazards it might pose if it fell into the wrong hands. But, if your employees are involved in any part of the hazmat transportation process, they share in the responsibility of keeping hazmat secure until it reaches its final destination.
Hazmat: Security Awareness Training is designed to introduce hazmat employees to security risks associated with the hazmat transportation process and ways to enhance security, as well as how to spot a possible security threat and respond appropriately. This course helps employees meet the security awareness training requirement (49 CFR 172.704(a)(4)).
Note: This course helps hazmat employees meet the training requirements listed in the HMR, but does not completely satisfy them. Additional employer-specific, in-depth security, and function-specific training may also need to be taken.
Hazmat: Security Awareness Training covers the following topics:
Hazmat Security Awareness
- Importance of Hazmat Security
- Reducing the Risk
- In-Depth Security Training
After completing this course, learners will be able to:
- Recognize potential hazmat security threats and ways to reduce them
- Identify suspicious behaviors and describe how to report suspicious activity
- List precautions drivers should take to keep hazmat safe while en route to its destination
Intended Audience: All hazmat employees, across industries, who work with or around shipments of hazardous materials
Regulations Covered: 49 CFR 172.704(a)(4)
Copyright Date: 2017
- Online Course Length: 20 minutes
- Video Program Running Time: 14:45
- Online Course - English: 50066
- Online Course - Spanish: 57428
- Video Program - English: 52051