The Driver Training Series is a collection of training programs which emphasize the essential skills necessary for safe CMV operation. This series is appropriate for all levels of drivers, from the entry-level to the veteran driver.
Truck backing counts as a very small percentage of a driver's driving time. But, the most common, and sometimes most costly, crashes or incidents in trucking involve backing. Backing incidents don't just damage trailers, buildings, and other equipment; sometimes they're fatal.
This program is designed to help reduce the number of backing accidents by teaching drivers how to recognize the dangers of backing and provide expert-level backing procedures. It covers the proper procedures for each backing maneuver, including straight-line, alley dock, sight-side jackknife, and blind-side jackknife backing and parallel parking.
After completing this program, learners will be able to:
- Recognize the dangers of backing
- Recall general backing guidelines
- Apply good backing techniques and appropriate backing maneuvers based on the situation
The program covers the following topics:
- Dangers & Guidelines
- Backing Dangers
- General Backing Guidelines
- How to Back Your Tractor-Trailer Safely
- Steering Principles
- Backing Maneuvers
Intended Audience: All drivers of vehicles that require a CDL to operate
Copyright Date: 2019
- Online Course Length: 20 minutes
- Video Program Running Time: 17:22
- Online Course - English: 56943
- Online Course - Spanish: 66610
- Video Program - English: 56900