For the professional driver, proper speed management means operating at the appropriate speed for all road conditions. This includes consideration of the condition of the road, visibility, and traffic speed and flow.
Proper space management means maintaining a “safe space” around the vehicle to operate safely. Maintaining a “safe space” or “safety cushion” around the vehicle is the goal of speed and space management.
This course is designed to help non-CDL CMV drivers learn how to manage their speed and space while driving.
After completing this course, learners will be able to:
- Discuss the three factors that affect your stopping distance
- Recognize ways to manage your vehicle’s speed through curves and on grades
- Describe why you should adjust your speed when you encounter poor road conditions, inclement weather, and heavy traffic
- Explain the importance of proper space management
- Describe how to maintain an appropriate cushion of space
The J. J. Keller Safe and Smart Experienced Driver Training Program: Defensive Driving: Speed and Space Management online course covers the following topics:
- Stopping Distance
- Braking Distance
- Total Stopping Distance
- Road Design
- Road Conditions
- Managing Space
- Crossing Traffic
Length of Course: 12 minutes
Intended Audience: New hire, experienced non-CDL CMV drivers
Regs Covered (if applicable): N/A
Formats: Online Course
Copyright Date: 2020
Start training today!
Learn more about the Safe and Smart Driver Training Program.